A spinning reel is a type of fishing reel having an open spool and a revolving metal arm that winds the line into the open spool when the handle is turned. During casting, the metal arm of the fishing reel is disengaged to release the line from the open spool this allows the line to be pulled off by the weight of the rig tied to it.
What is a spinning reel used for?
Spinning reels are used for a variety of fishing, ranging from heavy saltwater fishing to light freshwater fishing. Spinning reels can also be used as spin casters or bait casters. However, they have a unique set of advantages that make them more suited for some uses. Below are the main types of fishing that spinning reels are used for: Ice fishing, bobber fishing, fishing with dead or live bait, fishing with bottom rigs, live lining, and spin fishing with artificial lures.
Spinning reels are used for both saltwater and freshwater applications, though experts suggest using heavier and more durable models for saltwater applications. In short, spinning reels are the most popular type of fishing reels and they can be adapted for many more applications. Let’s look at the review of some ultralight spring reels that available on Amazon
The 5 Best Ultralight Spinning Reels Are Reviewed Below
Here we shall take look at the five best ultralight spinning reels that are available on Amazon. With hundreds of brands selling ultralight spinning reels, it’s hard for you to choose the right one especially if you’re a novice in the fishing world as you might be too overwhelmed. You might end up choosing a low-quality one, or the one that doesn’t fit the type of fishing you intended to do. To save you from such stress, we have decided to review the five best ultralight spinning reels that are available on Amazon. Grab a cup of coffee as you go through the list.
KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels
The KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels for freshwater applications only are loaded with high-quality features. If you’re looking for an excellent fishing reel to add to your fishing tackle collection, then the KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels are the best options for you. It features 10 high-quality ball bearings, a powerful drag, and special components that can withstand rough and hard use.
The Kastking spinning reel turns every novice into a pro, as it is loaded with unique features, offers the best value, and comes at a cheap price.
The summer spinning reel features a stronger yet lighter CNC machined aluminum spool having more even line lay, more fishing capacity, and internal grooves for lube retention. It also features a brilliant finish and a high strength to color anodized aluminum spool and a power launch lip for further casting.
The spinning reel features nine high-quality ball bearings and a durable one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing that helps in providing an ultra-smooth performance.
Its inner parts see of premium quality and they include, the main shaft made from hardened metal, a precision machine pinion gear, and a durable mesh gear drive.
The superior drag system of the KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels offers an incredible stopping power of up to 17.5LBS. Its narrow graphite design and the balancing system combine to give high performance in the super lightweight spinning reel.
Amazing features of this ultralight spinning reel include a two-color anodized aluminum spool, an excellent and incredible finishing that gives it a perfect look, the high tensile strength of its graphite that makes it resistant to corrosion, the interchangeable handle design, and also the superior drag system.
If you’ve been contemplating the gift to give a fishing lover friend, then the KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels are the perfect options.
- Incredible Value: Despite coming at a friendly price, the KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels are loaded with great features. It offers the best value and turns every fisherman into a pro.
- Lightweight and compact: It features a narrow graphite frame design and a balancing system that combine to give high performance in the ultralight spinning reel
- High powered: The KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels feature a superior drag system that offers a great stopping power of up to 17.5Lbs. It comes with a strong metal shaft, a durable mesh drive gear, and accurately machined pinion gear for fish fighting power.
- Smooth performance: It comes with 9 quality ball bearings and one instant stop anti-reverse bearings to give it ultra-high performance
- Perfect finishing: The finishing reel has an outstanding and brilliant finishing, and high-quality two-color anodized aluminum spool, and a power launch lip for longer casts.
- An awesome gift: The KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels can serve as the perfect gift you can give to an angler friend, relative, or loved one. Just get the 500 size reel and match it with an ice rod to make a perfect combo
- Brand name: KastKing
- Manufacturer’s name: Eposeidon
- Weight of package: 0.29 kilograms
- Dimension of item package: 4.76 x 4.72 x 3.31 inches [L x W x H]
- Part number: KK-Centron 500-1
- Color: Blue with black
- Type of material: Graphite
- Handle material: Aluminum
- Model: 500
- Style: Centron 500 ultralight/ice fishing
- Specific uses: Ice fishing, freshwater applications
- It comes with a two-color anodized aluminum spool
- It has an excellent and attractive finishing
- The spinning reel is lightweight and compact
- It comes with high tensile strength graphite that is resistant to corrosion
- Its drag system is very superior
- Its handle design is right and left hand interchangeable
- Some customers complained that it’s good for occasional weather fishermen only
- It can be used for freshwater applications only
Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
The Okuma Crymer spinning reels come in different sizes and have a sleek design and a smooth performance that creates an amazing fishing experience for all fishermen. The ultralight spinning reel is made on a fluid 8 bearing drive system and it features the Okuma elliptical gearing. It has a sturdy machined aluminum spool that creates an incredible strength for braided and single filament fishing lines.
It also features an oversized line roller that gives a confident performance in the long run and a heavy-duty solid aluminum ball. Its rotor system features the RESII computer balancing which enables it to spin at a very high speed without annoying wobbles. There’s also an aluminum handle arm that offers total control over the reel. The EVA handle knobs are made in a way that they’re very comfortable.
The reel features a blade body design that is very compact and helps in minimizing the bulk and size of the spinning reel so that fishers can focus on the fish they are catching.
The Ceymar ultralight spinning reels were crafted from stunning engineering, being very compact, the reel isn’t just fishing gear. According to the brand, it gives the motivation to hit the sea, the energy to keep you focused, and the excitement that infuses all casts with big expectations.
Its excellent performance features the following:
An extra powerful multi drag system
A 1RB + 7BB for the ultimate smoothness you need
A durable anti-reverse roller bearing
An accurately machined cut pinion gear that’s made from brass
A blade body design can resist corrosion
A machined aluminum spool
Ergo grip handle (this is available in the c-65 size only)
- Wonderful to fish: The spinning reel features a sleek design and smooth performance that creates an incredible fishing experience for all anglers. It is made on a fluid 8 bearing drive system and features the Okuma accurate elliptical gearing. The Crymar reel also delivers many full-line advanced features. It has a strong machined aluminum spool that creates a solid foundation for monofilament fishing lines
- Inspired fishing: It comes with a heavy-duty solid aluminum bail wire and a large line roller that gives a confident performance. Its rotor system comes with the Okuma RESII computer balancing enabling the reel to spin at a high speed without wobbling.
- Aluminum handle & EVA knobs: The ultralight Ceymar spinning reel comes with a forged aluminum handle arm that gives you total control of the reel. The custom EVA handle knobs makes it even more comfortable for anglers.
- Blade body design: The Okuma Crymer spinning reels feature a blade body design that’s very lightweight and refined. This body also helps in reducing the bulk and minimizing the size of the spinning reel so that fishers can focus on what they are catching
- It also comes with a multi-disc, max drag pressure and an oiled felt drag system.
- There’s a quick set anti-reverse roller bearing, a 2 tone anodized spool, machined aluminum, and a precision machine pinion gear.
- More than just fishing gear: The Okuma brand offers more than just fishing equipment. Their gears deliver motivation to enter the water, the excitement to inject every cast with high expectations, and the overall energy needed to maintain concentration. These fishing gears are made from advanced materials with a dynamic design and durability that lays a foundation for a better fishing experience for all anglers.
- Brand name: Okuma
- Manufacturer’s name: Okuma Fishing Tackle Corp.
- Weight of item: 0.5 pounds
- Weight of package: 0.24 kilograms
- Dimension of item: 5 x 4 x 4 inches [L x W x H]
- Dimension of item package: 4.33 x 3.82 x 3.15 inches [L x W x H]
- Model name: 5001600
- Material type: Synthetic
- Color: Multicolor
- Number of items: One
- Suggested users: Unisex
- Age recommendation: Adults
- Size: One size
- Fishing technique: Spinning
- Type of fishing line: Monofilament
- Material of the handle: Aluminum
- Hand orientation: Ambidextrous
- It comes in different sizes
- It features a body blade design that makes it very lightweight and refined
- Its rotor comes with the rotor system comes with the Okuma RESII computer balancing enabling it to spin fast without wobbling
- Some customers complained that the spinning reel is not as good as described by the brand
Codinter Ultralight Spinning Reel
The Codinter Ultralight Spinning reel features 6 + 1 stainless steel ball bearings that create a smoother action under pressure making it suitable for fishing in both saltwater and freshwater.
It comes with anodized aluminum spools that offer greater strength and rigidity. It also has a strong single aluminum ball that prevents frustrating tangles.
The reel comes with a wider and flatter spool that allows longer cast retrieves, increase the line pick up, and reduce twist. The handle comes with an anti-reverse function that prevents it from spinning backward thereby making the hook accurate and powerful. It can be used by both left and right hands.
It features a substantial and comfortable rubber knob and arm that allows firmer grip and reduces chances of slippage when the hands are sweaty or during wet weather.
This durable fishing reel has a graphite body, a machine aluminum spool, hardware, and a CNC handle that offers strength and rigidity against pressure and resists corrosion.
- 3000 size: This spinning reel is to be used for a compact rod targeting small species of fish. The monofilament weight of the smaller reels ranges from 2-10lb or 4-14lb braid
- Resistant to corrosion: The Counter Ultralight Spinning reel has a durable graphite body, a CNC handle, an aluminum spool, and hardware that are resistant to corrosion and offers more strength and rigidity under pressure making it ideal for both saltwater and freshwater fishing
- Smooth durable bearings: The spinning reel features 6 + 1 quiet and sealed stainless steel ball bearings that prevent corrosion, and add durability, smoothness, and stability
- Stable power: It is Featuring a hardened main shaft made from stainless steel, a mesh drive gear, and a precision machined pinion gear, the maximum drag force of 15.5 pounds together with a 5.7:1 gear ratio
- Compact and lightweight: The ultralight spinning reel is lightweight and easy to use therefore it reduces the risk of wrist fatigue. It provides a good balance to fishermen and is comfortable for long-time fishing.
- Brand name: Counter
- Manufacturer’s name: Counter
- Dimension of item package: 5.4 x 5 x 3.2 inches [L x W x H]
- Weight of package: 0.36 Kilograms
- Color: Dark grey
- Size: 3000
- Material: Graphite, Aluminum, and stainless steel
- Material of handle: Aluminum
- Type of fishing line: Monofilament
- Hand orientation: Both right & left
- Specific uses: Freshwater and saltwater fishing
- It can be used for both freshwater and saltwater fishing
- It is very lightweight thereby reducing the risk of wrist fatigue
- It has smooth and durable bearings that help in preventing corrosion
- Its graphite body is resistant to corrosion
- Some customers complained that they’re not satisfied with the way it works
Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels
The Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels is crafted from an all carbon fiber body, side plates, and rotor making it one of the lightest spinning reels weighing just 5.1 oz. Using the Carbon X spinning reel greatly reduces fatigue on your wrist after a long time of fishing.
The ultralight spinning reel features a blustery smooth 5.1.:1 and lighting fast 6.2:1 gear ratio in the 1000 model. These two fear ratios make the perfect combination, the high speed retrieve helps in making every fisherman work strong, fast runs of the largest fishes, and the moderate speed of the reel is perfect for targeting your next fish.
The Carbon X spinning reel is incredibly smooth having 10 + 1 shielded ball bearings made from high-quality stainless steel that is corrosion-resistant, helping in increasing smooth operation and retrieve performance.
It features three premium oversized carbon washer that gives you up to 33lbs of drag power. The sealed rubber ring present helps in protection your drag from dust, dirt, and water. These features offered by the drag give you an amazing experience whether you’re chasing a competition kicker or you’re taking children to the lake.
Additional incredible features of the Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels include the enhanced anti-corrosion stainless steel main shaft and the durable zinc alloy gear drive, a direct screw-in aluminum handle, a spool that’s hollow nest shaped, a high-density EVA knob, and a smooth positive click-drag. With all these amazing features the Carbon X ultralight spinning reel still comes at a friendly price.
If you have been looking for the perfect gift to give an angler friend or lover, think of choosing the Pisifun Carbon X Ultralight Spinning Reels, it comes at a friendly price, is incredibly smooth, compact and is loaded with many other incredible features.
- Very light: The Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels is crafted carefully from an all-carbon finer body, side plates, and Rotor making it one of the lightest reels in its class weighing just 5.1 oz. The lightweight of the reel reduces the risk of developing wrist fatigue after fishing for a long time
- Multiple Retrieves: Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels features a buttery smooth 5.1:1 and a lighting fast 6.1:2 gear ratio giving one of the perfect combinations of gear ratio that you will ever have. This high speed retrieve helps every fisherman to fight strong, fast run one of the largest fish and the normal speed is perfect for fitness in your next tournament
- Incredibly smooth: The silky smoothness of the Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels will greatly amaze you. Its 10 + 1 shielded stainless steel ball bearings are very important for increased smooth performance, retrieve operation, and corrosion resistance.
- A powerful and steady drag: The Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels features three premium oversized carbon washers that are the best in the class giving you up to 33 Lbs drag power. The sealed rubber ring present helps in preventing your drag from being exposed to the danger of dust and water. These drag features offer you the amazing experience you need whether you’re going fishing for a competition or you’re spending the day on the lake with kids.
- Additional features: The Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels comes with many additional features that make it more unique and innovative. These include, the strengthened anti-corrosion stainless steel main shaft and the Zin alloy gear drive, a hollow-shaped spool, a direct drive screw in aluminum handle, high-density EVA knobs and smooth click drags.
- Friendly price: The Pisifun Carbon X Spinning Reels possess all the features that are typically found in expensive spinning reels but it still comes at a cheap price.
- Brand name: Pisifun
- Manufacturer’s name: Pisifun
- Weight of item: 5.1 oz
- Part number: Piscifun-RL004-05
- Dimension of item: 0.1 x 0.1 x 0.1 inches [L x W x H]
- Weight of item package: 0.24 kilograms
- Dimension of item package: 5 x 4.65 x 3.5 inches [L x W x H]
- Material: Aluminum, stainless steel
- Outer material type: Aluminum alloy
- Color: Black
- Style: 500
- Hand material: EVAfoamslidering
- Hand orientation: Ambidextrous
- Specific uses of product: Fishing
- It is very lightweight thereby reducing the risk of developing wrist fatigue after a long time of fishing
- It is incredibly smooth and its 10 + 1 ball bearings help in help in increasing smooth performance and resistance to corrosion
- It features a sealed rubber ring that protects your drag from being compromised by dust and water
- It has many amazing features yet it comes at a cheap price
- A customer complained that the gear broke down on first use.
Sougayilang lightweight Fishing Reel
The Sougayilang Fishing Reel features corrosion resistance 13 + 1 smooth ball bearings and a one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing that helps give it ultra-smooth performance. The spinning reel also comes with an extra free spool.
The ultralight fishing reel is well equipped with a hardened metal main shaft, precision brass carbon drag washers, and an interchangeable right and left durable CNC machined aluminum handle.
The Sougayilang Fishing Reel has a superior drag system that offers incredible stopping power, the highly powered ultralight reel has a main shaft that’s made from a hardened metal, a durable mesh drive gear, and a precision Pinion machine gear for fish fighting power.
The fishing reel also features a hollow design and a good computer balancing system coupled with high performance and compact during long time fishing, making it an awesome gift for both beginners and professionals.
It also has a lighter and more durable CNC aluminum spool that has more line capacity and an extra free graphite spool. The Sougayilang Fishing Reel has a brilliant appearance, an amazing finish, and a high strength.
The ultralight fishing reel has oversized yet durable CNC machined aluminum handles, left, and right interchangeable handles.
The Sougayilang Fishing Reel is an amazing gift for a fishing lover, friend, or loved one. Just buy a good fishing line to make a perfect combo for your angler friend or loved one.
- Smooth and corrosion resistance: The Sougayilang Fishing Reel features 13 + 1 smooth corrosion resistant ball bearings and a one instant stop anti-reverse bearing that helps in giving it a very smooth performance and also comes with a free spare spool
- Strong and durable; The Sougayilang Fishing Realise is well equipped with a hardened main shaft, precision brass gears, an interchangeable left, and right CNC aluminum handle, and triple-disc carbon drag washers.
- High powered: The Sougayilang Fishing Reel has a drag system that offers incredible stopping power. There’s also a hardened metal shaft, a precision machined pinion gear,r and an excellent mesh drive gear for an excellent fishing experience
- Lightweight and compact: Sougayilang Fishing Reel features a hollow frame design with a computer balancing system coupled with high performance and lightweight design for a long-time fishing experience without causing wrist fatigue.
- An amazing gift: Loaded with many incredible features, the Sougayilang Fishing Reel is a perfect gift for both beginner and pro fishers.
- Position: The ultralight spinning reel can be used for ocean boat fishing, river reservoir pond, ocean beach fishing, e.t.c
- Brand name: Sougayilang
- Manufacturer’s name: Sougayilang
- Weight of item: 6.98 ounces
- Weight of package: 0.31 ounces
- Dimension of item package: 5.12 x 4.77 x 3.43 inches [L x W x H]
- Part number: YL-XY1000
- Color: XY1000
- Style: XY1000
- Size: XY1000
- The ratio of gear: 7.0:1
- Max drags: 17lbs
- Ball-bearing: 9 + 1
- Brake system: Magnetic brake
- Weight of reel: 6.98 oz
- Material: Aluminum
- Hand material: Aluminum
- Hand orientation: Ambidextrous
- It has a strong hardened main shaft, precision brass gears, and a CNC interchangeable aluminum handle
- It has 13 + 1 corrosion resistant ball bearings
- It is very lightweight and compact
- A customer complained that the reel doesn’t last when it’s used in saltwater
- A customer complained that the reel turns rusty easily
Buying Guide Questions
Below we are going to look at some of the most frequently asked questions about spinning reels, their price, and their sizes.
What is the lightest spinning reel?
The Pisifun Carbon X ultralight spinning reel is one of the lightest spinning reels you will ever find.
Weighing only 5.1 oz, the spinning reel is crafted carefully from an all-carbon finer body, a rotor, and body plates making It very lightweight and compact. A great advantage of this ultralight spinning reel is there’s a low risk of developing wrist fatigue after using it for a long time. It is also perfect for both beginner and pro anglers
Are expensive spinning reels worth it?
Most expensive spinning reels are worth their price. As they are usually lightweight, have better drag systems, and sit well with high-end rods. By buying a more expensive spinning reel you stand a chance of enjoying your time more on water and catching more fish easily. Being lightweight and compact, the expensive spinning reel will reduce adverse effects of long-time fishing like wrist fatigue.
Is bait casting better than spinning?
We can’t easily say which one is better between baitcasting and spinning. However, bait casting is known to be more suitable for large fishes and heavy lures, they are also better for heavier lines, on the other hand, spinners are easier to use, and they’re best for small fishes. In short, none is better than the other, it just depends on what you’re using it for.
How do I Know the Size of the spinning reel to buy?
Most brands used to give information and sizes about their spinning reels. They’ll tell you the best size for different purposes.
Are Daiwa reels any good?
Yes, Daiwa reels are extremely good. They are also known to come at an affordable price. They also have electric reels that are known to perform well especially when deep fishing.
When choosing a spinning reel there are some factors that you’re supposed to note, as they will help you in choosing the perfect reel that will give you an amazing dishing experience, these factors include, the gear ratio, rotation, and material of the handle knob, smooth retrieve, weight, spool design, and material. It is advisable to know the type of bait that you’ll be casting.
For more, check out our other articles: