Factors to note when choosing Bass fishing rods
The right fishing rod allows a fisherman or woman to cast baits accurately, which is why you need to choose a good bass fishing rod. Here are some things to look at when choosing a bass fishing rod:
The length of the rod
The first thing to note when choosing a bass fishing rod is the length. Rods length ranges from 4ft to 14ft, but the length you’re supposed to choose depends on the type of fishing you’re going to do; it is also good to know that the length greatly impacts how far you can cast.
Longer rods are good for long casts; however, they’re hard to maneuver; shorter rods don’t go far when cast, but you’ll have a lot of control over them.
For example, if you’re fishing underwater, you don’t have to cast far. You need a short rod that can be controlled easily, and if you’re going for large fish, short rods are the perfect option
On the other hand, if you’re throwing topwater walking lures, a longer rod is the best option; though swinging can be a huge task, you’ll still be able to make long casts. For beginners, Experts suggest that a 7-inch fishing pole is a perfect option.
The material of the rod
Fishing rods are usually made from graphite, fiberglass, or composite. The material from which a rod is made has a lot to do with its performance, so choosing the right material will add to your fishing success. Let’s look at each material
- Graphite rods
Graphite rods have been in use since the 70s. They are usually lighter than fiberglass rods which makes them very popular fishing poles. However, there are a lot of myths about graphite rods. Let’s see some.
Looking closely at Graphite rods, you’ll notice they’ve IM6, IM7, or IM8 markers. Ever wonder what that means? Well, these are identifiers for different degrees of modulus. The higher the modulus, the stiffer the material. This means that a manufacturer can use a small material to achieve the same level of stiffness, which is why some rods see extremely light.
The myth here is that an IM8 is stiffer than an IM6 or IM7 rod. The reality is, both rods have the same stiffness, only that IM8 will be lighter than IM7.
A great advantage of graphite rods is, they’re less sensitive to bite; they’re also lightweight, which makes angling with them joyful. Some drawbacks of graphite rods are that they’re very brittle, and they usually come at a high price.
- Fiberglass rods
These are known to be the oldest and most reliable fishing rods in the angling world. They’ve been in use for many decades. They are sturdy, strong, durable, and easy to make, making them affordable compared to graphite rods.
The durability and friendly price make them the most special type of rods among anglers, but they also have drawbacks. Because of their elegant nature, they provide little feedback, so it’s not easy to detect lighter bites. They’re also heavier than graphite rods which makes them hard to use for a long time angling.
- Composite rods
Composite rods are made from a mixture of graphite and fiberglass. These rods are ideal for anglers that prefer performance over anything else, as they give you the required flexibility, less weight, and less sensitivity.
Because of their versatility, they’re ideal for anglers that fish in different waters. However, they are the most expensive rods, their major throwback.
Type of action
Another important thing to note when choosing a bass fishing rod is action. In this manner, rods are categorized into three types, viz: Slow, medium, and fast action rods.
The rod’s action determines how much and where your rod will bend; it also defines the speed at which your rod goes from loaded back to its original form. Let’s look at each type of action.
- Fast action
Fast action rods bend at the upper end just below the tip. They’re very sensitive to the slightest movements, and they’ll send vibration to your hands. Fast action rods are ideal for powerful hook settings as they quickly snap back.
They work well with worms, hooks, and large jigs. And their fast-moving tips and powerful backbones make them ideal for pulling fish out of heavy cover.
Another importance of fast action rods is that their sturdy backbones make it easy to catch big fish with them. So if you want to be coming back home with Billfish, Tuna, or largemouth, think of getting a fast action rod.
- Medium action
Unlike fast action rods, these bend at the top half of their pole. They also have good hook setting capabilities and allow you to cast far.
They work pretty well with multiple hook setups as they move slower than fast action rods, thereby giving fish more time to bite. They’re also very versatile, as you can use both single or multiple hooks, you can catch both big and small fishes, and can also be used in different waters.
- Slow action rods
Slow action rods are completely bent to the butt. These rod types make fishing of the smallest fishes a lot of fun and exciting. Here, you’re expected to use the smallest lure to make a good cast. This is because it takes time for small action rods to lodge a hook in a fish’s mouth. Treble hooks are a perfect option here, as they don’t need much pressure to penetrate the fish’s mouth due to their small tips.
A drawback of slow-action hooks is that they aren’t easy to set hooks with. The bent design of the rod requires you to be pulling farther as the fish bites. However, once the hook is in, it’s very easy to maintain the right amount of tension on the fish.
The price of the rod
An important thing to note when buying anything is the price and your budget. Different rods come at different prices. The material usually determines its cost and the brand. Don’t be after pricey rods, and don’t go for cheap, less durable ones. Choose a high-quality rod that suits your budget.
The 5 Best Bass Fishing Rods Are Reviewed Below
Below we are going to look at the 5 best bass fishing rods that are available on Amazon. These rods are made from high-quality materials; they’re very durable and come at a friendly price. Most of them also come from brands known to produce good fishing rods.
Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo
The Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo is Amazon’s best-seller in Fishing rods. This isn’t just a bass fishing rod rather a fishing carrier bag package.
The rod is made from fiberglass and carbon fiber, making it very strong and durable. It has stainless steel reel seats that make them always bright and free from seawater corrosion. Its rings are made from piano porcelain; they are beautiful, high quality, and corrosion-free.
Its CNC aluminum spool has a hollow frame design and a computer balancing system that features high performance despite being lightweight and compact.
The spinning reel, on the other hand, comes with the main shaft that’s made from a strengthened metal, a perfect mesh gear drive, and a precision machined pinion gear for high fishing fighting power.
The Sougayilang spinning reel combo is lightweight and portable, and it easily fits into a car, a trunk, or a boat. It allows you to travel everywhere with your fishing equipment and enjoy fishing anytime, anywhere. The kit is specifically made for novice anglers, and with it, you’re good to go fishing without buying anything.
The fishing carrier bag that houses all the equipment is a lightweight, strong and practical fishing bag made from exquisite craftsmanship. The high-quality bag has a full-length zipper, and it’s made from none toxic and eco-friendly materials.
The Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo package comes with a:
1x Fishing Reel
1x Fishing Rod
1x Spare spool
1x Fishing equipment carrier bag
A 100yds fishing line
3x fishing lures
12x fishing accessories.
If you’ve been looking for a perfect gift to give to an angler friend or loved one, especially a novice, then the Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo is the perfect option as it comes with the best Fishing rod for beginners.
- The Sougayilang Fishing Rod Combo: The carrier bag comes with a fishing rod and reel combo and other necessary fishing equipment, which include: a fishing reel, a fishing rod, a fishing line, some fishing lures, and other fishing gear
- The Sougayilang Fishing rod: It is made from a high-density carbon fiber that’s mixed with high-quality fiberglass, which makes the fishing pole hardened and durable. Its lightweight guide ring is made of SIC ceramic, and its heat absurd is better. Having a lower friction rate, the guide ring is very durable. It also features the International Advanced Epoxy Resin Adhesive, making it more solid.
- The Sougayilang Reel: The reel that comes in the carrier bag features 13 + 1 anti-corrosion smooth ball bearing, well precision matched gears and a powerful 5.5:1 gear ratio that gives it high performance. It is handed interchangeable, and the handle is made from CNC machined aluminum and comes with an extra exquisite aluminum spool. The Unique aerospace aluminum honeycomb design of the spool gives it strength while keeping it lightweight. Its EVA knob makes it more comfortable and nonslip during long-time fishing.
- Portable and lightweight: The fishing gear bag is very portable and lightweight and easily fits into a car or a boat. The spinning combo allows you to travel everywhere with your fishing gear and fish anytime, anywhere
- 1-year service: The brand offers a worry-free one-year customer service whenever you have any problem
- Brand name: Sougayilang
- Manufacturer’s name: Sougayilang
- Weight of package: 1.08 kg
- Weight of item: 1.21 pounds
- Dimensions of item package: 17.68 x 9.53 x 2.8 inches [L x W x H]
- Material: Carbon Fiber
- Style: A fishing kit
- Size of fishing rod: 5.91ft, 6.89ft, and 7.87ft.
- Weight of fishing rod: 5.29oz, 6.88oz, and 7.94 oz.
- The fishing rod comes in a fishing gear bag that has many other fishing accessories
- It is made from high-quality material
- The fishing rod is very durable and lightweight
- Some customers complained that it rusted easily on the screws
One Bass Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
The One base Fishing reel and Rod combo were crafted to be an all-around rod and reel combo that makes fishing a whole fun, simple and exciting while coming at a low price.
The fishing combo comes with a highly durable bass rod and a high-quality fishing reel. The One bass Alfen series rod offers a better balance, a lighter feel and is made from improved components, and has an eye-catching modern look that you’ll surely like.
Featuring a 24-ton carbon matrix blank and stainless steel guides having titanium oxide inserts, the fast action rod delivers sensitivity and performance. It has an outstanding slip resistance that gives you maximum control over your fishing rod all the time. Its two-piece style makes transporting and storing it easy.
The Reel has 8 stainless steel shielded high-quality balls bearings, an instant anti-reverse bearing, and a 7.3:1 gear ratio. It also features a magnetic brake system with 10 magnets that exerts good pressure throughout the casting to boost your cast range and accuracy.
The ALFEN series rod and reel are built upon an outstanding performance and are fitted with an advanced polymer grip that helps in enhancing sensitivity and reducing fatigue and weight. Its exceptionally slip resistance gives you maximum control over your fishing rod during a long fishing time.
- The ALFEN series spinning combo: The rod and reel combo is engineered to be a versatile combo that comes at an affordable price and makes fishing exciting and fun. The combo comes with a durable one bass rod and a durable fishing reel.
- Modernized rod: The lightweight rod is made from improved components that offer a better balance and give it an eye-catching and modernized look that will make you love it at first sight. The fast action rod also provides you with medium-heavy power.
- High quality and good craftsmanship: For maximum sensitivity and high performance, the rod features a 24-ton carbon matrix blank and stainless steel guides with titanium oxide. The rod performs exceptionally well in bass and other freshwater fishing with artificial lures.
- Slip resistance: The One bass Fishing rod is exceptionally slip-resistant. Therefore, it gives you maximum control during a long time of fishing. It also features a two-piece style that makes transportation and storage easy.
- The One bass fishing reel: This baitcaster reel has 8 shielded stainless steel ball bearings, an instant anti-reverse bearing, and a 7.3:1 gear ratio. It also features a proven magnetic system that has 10 magnets that helps in exerting reliable pressure throughout the cast to boost its range and accuracy and allow you to move the brake closer to the spool in turn. The reel also has a super durable machined aluminum spool so that you can spend as much time as you can fishing.
- Ergonomic and lightweight: The Reel and the Rod are equipped with an advanced polymer that enhances sensitivity and reduces weight and fatigue. Their exceptional slip resistance gives you the required control over your fishing rod. These unique qualities aren’t found in most rod & reels sold higher.
- Customer service: The brand offers a one-year customer service to ensure a better customer experience.
- Brand name: One Bass
- Weight of package: 0.73 pkg
- Dimension of item package: 37.87 x 4.72 x 3.54 inches [L x W x H]
- Model: ZHANG-1.8M Cast LY with GEF-Orange-L
- Material: Carbon Fiber & Aluminum
- Hand orientation: Left-handed
- Size: Cast-6’0″ Medium-2piece
- Fishing technique: Spinning and Baitcasting
- The rod is made from high quality, durable yet lightweight materials
- The rod is slip resistance, so it gives you maximum control over your fishing rod at all times
- The rod and reel has an eye-catching and modernized look
- The reel features a magnetic brake.
- It is left hand oriented
- Some customers complained that it’s not easy to use.
Tailored Tackle Bass Fishing Rod
The Tailored Tackle Bass Fishing Rod and Reel combo are ideal for beginner fishers and weekend anglers that want to start with the right bass fishing equipment. Fishing guides design the fishing combo for high performance with the right specs that you need to start fishing.
The rod and reel combo is designed to provide the required performance and presentation while fishing all popular bass rigs and lures. The reel features an LMB pop-up spool that lets you remove rat nets and tangles from casting mistakes.
To serve all, the brand manufacture Both right and left-hand oriented reels and rods. All are available. Just specify the one you want when ordering from Amazon.
Unlike most rods and reels that are expensive and also complicated, the Tailored Tackle Bass Fishing Rod and Reel combo are cheap and very easy to operate. This gives you an easy way to cast and untangle pop-off bait casters and also fix ugly tangles in no time.
The fast action rod gives you the backbone to stick it, and the poles of the rod are super sensitive. This rod is one of the few fishing combos with a 7-foot length for maximum casting.
The reel has strong yet smooth 7 ball bearings and a fast gear ratio system tuned to the most known lure speed to bait cast fast.
- Left and Right-handed Bass fishing teel and rod combo: The Tailored Tackle is a durable left-handed/right-handed bait caster reel and rod combo crafted carefully by professionals to give Bass fishers an affordable and easy to use fishing pole.
- Easy to learn: Unlike other rod and reel combos that are expensive and complicated to use. The Tailored Tackle Bass Fishing Rod and Reel combo gives you an easy way to cast and untangle pop off bait casters and to untangle ugly tangles in a few seconds without stress
- Lightweight, fast action rod: The Tailored tackle rod gives you the backbone to stick to it, and its poles are super sensitive that they feel everything. Another advantage of this combo is that it’s one of the few at 7 ft length for maximum casting.
- Smooth Gear system: The reel of the combo features an agile and smooth 7 ball bearing and a fast gear ratio system tuned that’s one of the most popular lure speeds to bait cast fast.
- Designed by professionals: The LMB Tailored Tackle Bass Fishing Rod, and Reel combo is designed by a team fishing guide to give you the right bass fishing gear and easy-to-operate equipment at a friendly price.
- Brand name: Tailored Tackle
- Manufacturer’s name: Tailored Tackle
- Weight of item: 0.89 kg
- Dimension of item: 4.1 x 5.7 x 43.9 inches [L x W x H]
- Dimension of item package: 44.5 x 5.5 x 4.5 inches [L x W x H]
- Hand orientation: Both left and right hand oriented are available; specify when ordering.
- Fishing technique: Baitcasting
- Both right hand & left hand oriented combo are available
- It is a lightweight and fast-action rod.
- The reel features an agile and smooth bearing gear system
- The combo is very easy to operate
- It’s not two hands oriented
Wakeman Fishing Rod and Reel Combo
The Wakeman Fishing rod and reel combo are among the best bass fishing rods that you can ever find on Amazon.
Made from fiberglass, the 6’6″ long medium action rod can cast longer distances while providing a good hook setting power for different fish. The durable yet lightweight rod will make fishing enjoyable from the boat or shoreline.
The open style aluminum Spinning reel has a gear ratio of 5.2:1 and a reel that is very easy to operate and provides you with confidence when fishing. The reel is also pre-spooled with a 215 yards monofilament fishing line of 10lb test.
Featuring an EVA foam handle, the combo provides a secure grip when you’re reeling your catch. The none slip form of the handle offers a safe and comfortable grasp on the rod during a long fishing time.
Made from fiberglass aluminum Eva foam, the rod is also ideal for ponds and lakes, and it has everything you need to catch your dream fish.
- A durable fiberglass rod: The 6’6″ long medium Wakeman fiberglass fishing rod will cast long distances and provide the necessary power for hook setting. This durable yet lightweight rod will surely make fishing a lot of fun and exciting.
- The Spinning Reel: The Wakeman Spinning reel is a 5.2:1 ratio and series free style spinning reel made from high-quality aluminum. The reel is known for its easy to operate, which helps make you more comfortable and positive when your catch starts to bite. For added durability, the reel is pre-spooled with 215 yards of durable monofilament fishing line.
- Secure grip handle: The EVA foam handle of the combo provides you with a secure grip when you’re reeling your fish. The none slip foam knob also makes you feel safe and offers you a comfortable grasp on the rod while keeping your hands relaxed during a long time fishing.
- Lightweight, compact, and portable: The Wakeman Fishing rod and reel combo are very light, making it ideal for ponds and lakes. The combo also features everything you need to catch different species of fish.
- Brand name: Wakeman
- Manufacturer’s name; Trademark Global
- Weight of item: 1.9 pounds
- Dimension of item: 78 x 5.25 x 3.13 inches [L x W x H]
- Weight of package: 0.86 kilograms
- Dimension of the package: 40.5 x 7.5 x 4 inches [L x W x H]
- Material: Fiberglass
- Size: 6’6″
- Type of fishing line: Monofilament
- Suggested users: Adults – Unisex
- Included components: Fishing Rod, Fishing Reel
- Hand orientation: Ambidextrous
- Warranty Description: 30 Days
- The durable rod is made from fiberglass.
- It features a nonslip handle that doesn’t stress your hand due to long time fishing
- The combo is lightweight and durable.
- Both hands can use it
- Some customers complained that the fishing combo isn’t durable.
- Some customers complained that the reel doesn’t work perfectly.
Buying Guide Questions
Here, we will look at some of the most frequently asked questions by buyers about bass fishing rods.
Who makes the best bass fishing rods??
With many brands manufacturing Bass fishing rods, we can’t say which one makes the overall best fishing rod. But below are the five best sellers of fishing rods on Amazon.
The Sougayilang Fishing rod & Reel combo
The Ugly Stik GX2 spinning fishing rod
The Tickle stick ice fishing rods
The Wakeman strike series spinning reel and rod combo
What is the best size rod for bass fishing?
The recommended rod size for bass fishing is 7 to 8 feet long. In many competitions, rods longer than 8 feet were not allowed for bass fishing. The best choice will therefore be a 7½ ft rod.
How do I choose a Bass rod?
You can choose the right bass rod by noting the length of the rod, its weight, the material from which mismade, the type of action, and above all, the price of the rod.
What is the most expensive fishing rod?
The oyster Bamboo fly rod is known to be the most expensive fishing rod. Its price starts from $4600, thus making it the most expensive fishing rod available.
Should I get medium or medium-heavy rods?
Both rods work quite well. The ice depends on your preference and the weight of the lure you want to be throwing.
What rods for what lures?
Choosing the right lure for your rods is pretty easy. Most rods brands also manufacture lures that complement their rods.
Is a longer or shorter fishing rod better?
Shorter fishing rods cast shorter distances, while longer fishing rods cast long distances. So if you’re aiming closer combat, then a shorter fishing rod is the perfect option, and if you’re aiming for longer combat, a longer fishing rod will be the best option
What do Professional fishers use?
When it comes to fishing gear, professional fishers are always a step ahead in choosing the best fishing equipment. They usually use the best fishing gear you can ever find on the market.
Do professionals use spinning reels?
Yeah, professional fishers use spinning reels when they want to toss a small crankbait or a light jerk bait.
Bass fishing is fishing the North American species of fish that’s generally known as black bass. Popular species of bass include spotted bass, Kentucky bass, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, among others.
For more about fishing, check out our other articles;
Best Saltwater baitcaster reels
Best fishing line for bait aster reel