Best swimming goggles in 2021 Review
Swimming is an amazing sport that gives the swimmer a very unique and exciting experience. Swimming goggles are essential for swimmers. They help to enhance the visibility of the swimmer while also protecting the eyes. Swimming goggles are made with materials that provide comfort and adequate seal for the swimmer. The swimming goggle markets is vast with different brands and specification, and some goggles are created for amateur swimmers while other are designed for competitive swimmers.
Swimming goggles are necessities no matter your reason for wanting to swim-competition, fitness purpose, and recreation. Swimming goggles come in a wide range of specs, and buying the right pair of swimming goggles depends on the activities you are likely to engage in. Goggles designed for competitions usually suit swimmers perfectly and highly effective in reducing drag. It is generally so comfortable for a swimmer, making him/her accelerate rapidly. But they are not so comfortable for recreational purposes. Recreational goggle is usually cheaper than goggles used for competitions. They offer a lot of comforts as well as good visibility.
Certain factors such as the gasket material, the type of lens, and lens color are also essential to note.
Types of Goggle
- Competition Goggles: Goggles designed for competitive purposes are made with optimum perfection to enhance the swimmer’s performance. They are created in such a way that makes the swimmer more hydrodynamic. Goggles made for competition usually have lenses that perfectly suit the eye socket and prevent water from leaking.
- Training Goggles: Training goggles are quite similar to competition goggles. They have a less drag effect than competition goggles, which can be seen from the bit larger lenses of the eye socket cups. However, more comfortable to put on.
- Recreational Goggles: Recreational goggles are not designed with optimum perfection. They can quickly get foggy with time; however, they are made comfortable. These goggles are not designed just for recreational swim purpose only. They can give a very nice view of the environment.
- Kids Goggles: Children’s swim goggles are designed to enhance the visibility of the kids while in water, protect their eyes from chlorine, saltwater irritation. These goggles are available in different patterns and sizes. Their colors are usually very fanciful, with designs featuring cartoons character. This can make the goggles look beautiful and funny.
Type of Lenses Color
Amber: Amber lenses are excellent, as they allow for clearer visions. They can be used both in indoor and outdoor environments. They increase low lights, and this is helpful to see the bottom of the water in a condition. They can help also be helpful by reducing glare in an outdoor environment.
Blue: Blue lenses are very good in filtering low light; they are suitable for indoor conditions.
Clear: Clear lenses are designed without any light filter; hence they offer no change, eyes visibility usually remains the same. It’s very suitable for indoor and low light conditions.
Gray: Gray lenses can be powerful for glare reduction. It is a neutral color that can shield the eyes from bright light coming from the sun. Tinted gray can be used during sunny and cloudy conditions.
Mirrored: Mirrored lenses are very remarkable when it comes to the filtering of light. Thus, they are highly efficient for outdoor use.
Specialty Lenses: Some lenses are designed with unique features; this makes them stand out when it comes to water sport.
In this category, we have the UV protection lens and prescription lens. The UV protection lens is a valuable feature for those swimming outdoor and on a sunny day. It helps prevent the reflection of sunlight. Also, the prescription lens is specially made for swimmers who use recommended glasses; the prescription lens incorporates their site defect lens with a water-friendly lens to yield a perfect blend. However, this is often pricey.
Different kinds of lens materials
- Polycarbonate vs. Optical Grade: Lens are mostly made from polycarbonate or optical grade materials. The former is the most commonly used material when dealing with goggles for swimming. Polycarbonate can provide adequate protection from UV rays and are also an excellent option for Prescription goggles. However, they are very prone to scratches. Optics plastic lenses are a good alternative as they can resist scratches well enough and less distortive.
- Anti-Fog: Lenses made with either plastic material can come with anti-fog protection, a thin coat pre-applied to the inside of the lens. Anti-fog degrades over time and can be reapplied using a variety of sprays or drops.
A gasket helps to seals the goggle around your eyes perfectly, keeping water out.
Types of Gasket Materials
- Silicone and Rubber: Silicone and rubber are commonly used to make swimming goggles’ gaskets. Silicone goggles are designed to give UV protection; they can resist chemical corrosion, especially when swimming in a highly chlorinated pool, and they tend to last longer. Rubber-made gaskets are more comfortable, but they do not have great qualities like the former.
- Plastic: Plastic gaskets are very common when dealing with outdoor water swimming and competitions. They find a useful application in the Swedish-designed googles. They come with relatively small lenses, which usually makes the goggle suit the eye socket perfectly.
- Foam: Swimming goggles made with foam gaskets don’t usually last long enough. The quality of the seal wears off significantly over time. Most often restricted to use during recreational activities.
Goggle fitting is critical when buying goggles for watersport activities. When a goggle fits you perfectly, it enhances the function correctly and thus, brings about comfort. In getting goggles that perfectly suit your face, don’t assume. Always ensure to try them out and be sure it does. Goggles that perfectly fit you will hardly leave marks around your eyes. The strap of such goggles is not usually tightened before you can find them fitting. Straps are only necessary to hold them firmly in place.
A goggle profile determines how far off a goggle can be raised away from the face. There are low and high-profile goggles. Low-profile goggles are used mostly for competition swimming as they are highly effective in reducing drags, while high-profile goggles suit recreational swimming well.
To read more about accessories used in water read
The 8 Best swimming goggles Are Reviewed Below
Swimming goggles come in various brands and sizes. Here, we have compiled some of the unique and most excellent swimming goggles in 2021 that you might want to check out if you are a fan of watersports. Also available below is the buyer’s guide of each swimming goggles with detailed information to enhance your search.
Speedo Vanquisher Swimming Goggles
When it comes to the swimming goggle market, speedo has been remarkably outstanding. The Speedo Jr. swim. Goggles are designed for kids ages 6-14. The visibility level in water is astonishing. It is a smaller version to those used by adult swimmers in training and competitive swimming.
These goggles are excellent to use when it comes to both recreational and competitive swimming. They are made with UV protection, anti-fog and can also be used for outdoor swimming.
- Mirrored lens
- Wide panoramic lens
- Uv protection
- Maximum visibility and minimum glare
- Four nosepiece options
- Cushioned silicone seals
- Brand: Speedo
- Color: Deep/Gold
- Style: Mirrored Vanquisher 2.0 for swimming
- Frame Material: Thermoplastic Rubber
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH 3 x 1 x 1 inches
- Speedo goggle provides a low profile eye fit
- It doesn’t allow water condensation of the lens due to its anti-fog coating
- It comes with four different sized nosepieces for a precision fit
- You don’t have to bother about straining your eyes because it has a mirrored lens
- It comes with an ergonomic adjustable clip
- It has a lot of counterfeit
Aqua Sphere Swimming Goggles
Aqua Sphere brand provides excellent swimming goggles for swimmers. The Kayenne Jr. Swim Goggles designed by Aqua Sphere come with UV protection, thus a perfect choice for outdoor activities like lakes, pools, and beaches. These goggles are made with scratch-resistant polycarbonate lenses, which are very good for enhancing visibility. It is also worth noting that they can fair well in indoor and dark light conditions.
These goggles also have an extra-wide silicone gasket which gives its water seal feature and comfort. Trust me; your kids will love this pair because it feels light and doesn’t pinch the skin in any way.
- 180-degree visibility
- Hypoallergenic softeril micro-frame
- Quick fit and simple adjustment
- Anti-fog and anti-scratch lens
- Brand: Aqua sphere
- Color: black
- Style: Swim Goggles
- Frame: hypoallergenic Softeril
- Item Dimensions: 4-point expanded
- It can be adjusted to give 180-degree visibility
- It is very gentle to the skin
- It has a clear view due to its anti-fog properties
- Very durable and long-lasting
Nike Cadet Youth Swimming Goggles
The Nike Cadet Youth Goggle is designed for young swimmers. It comes with a very flexible frame, shatter-resistant Polycarbonate lens, UV protectant, and an anti-fog that helps you keep focus optimally when swimming with it.
The gasket is usually very soft, which makes the Nike Cadet Youth Goggle very comfortable. The soft silicone gaskets equally help to provide a water-tight seal. The flexible frame automatically helps to adjust to the face, which helps to give an excellent fit to the swimmer. However, the downside of this goggle is that it isn’t durable.
- shatter resistance
- polycarbonate lens
- Maximum visibility and minimum glare
- UV protection
- Brand: Nike
- Color: Hyper Blue
- Lens Material: Polycarbonate
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 7.2 x 2.4 x 2.2 inches
- Lens Coating Description: Anti-Fog Coating
- it is very comfortable and gentle to the skin
- It has a clear view due to its anti-fog properties
- it protects the eyes from the sun
- it has a lot of bad reviews from customers
FINIS Fruit Basket Kids Swimming Goggles
FINIS Goggles are designed for kids between ages 3-8 years. These goggles come in different fanciful colors that can easily attract kids. The stiff silicone frame comes with a built-in silicone gasket that ensures the goggles are highly flexible to fit appropriately and ensures that water-tight seals are intact.
These goggles have a soft gasket that helps to reduce redness, numbness around the eyes by giving them custom fits. It also has two adjustment points and double clips for easy adjustment of the head straps. They come in a variety of fruity scents that would make kids highly interested in them. FINS goggle was specially designed for beginners because most kids using it might just be using it for the first time, and as a result, it was manufactured to be easy to get on and off.
- Ideal child goggles
- Extreme comfort
- Safe and protective:
- Uv protection and latex-free
- Easy adjustments
- Brand: FINIS
- Color: Gold Peach
- Lens Coating Description: Anti-Fog Coating
- It comes in a variety of colors that kids would love
- It is extremely comfortable
- It has anti-fog and UV protection properties
- It is very easy to put on and off
- an adult cannot use it
Aqua Sphere Michael Phelps K180 Swim Goggles
The Aqua Sphere Michael Phelps K180 Swim Goggles have an excellent fitting that would fit your face so well. These goggles come with a tight seal that keeps water out, even when the water current is quite turbulent. It has wide lenses that sort of resemble masks that divers often use. It is usually a low-profile goggle, thus effective in reducing drags. These kinds of goggles are a classic example of open water swimming.
The Aqua Sphere K180 Swim has head straps that can be easily adjusted when the need arises. It also has three different nose bridges, which help adjust to your needs as well. They come in different lens types and can be used in both indoor and outdoor conditions.
Goggles have head straps that can be easily adjusted when the need arises
- 180-degree panoramic vision
- For water-tight fit
- Ultra-soft with 100% softeril gasket
- Leak-resistant seal
- Curved lens
- Integrated strap loop
- Anatomic lens shape
- Easy-adjust head strap
- Brand: Aqua Sphere
- Color: Black/Mirror Lens/Yellow
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH(7.75 x 5.5 x 2.5 inches)
- Lens Color: Mirrored Len
- syle: swim goggle
- it offers an expanded view due to its Curved Lens Technology
- it comes with an interchangeable nose bridge
- it is very comfortable and fit easily
- it has ultra-soft gaskets
- its leak resistance seal makes it impossible for water to get in
- it is very easy to adjust its low profile head buckle
- There is a widespread complaint that its anti-fog protection wears out so fast.
Aqua Sphere Swimming Goggles
The Aqua Sphere Swim Goggle comes with a very unique patented curved lens technology. Aqua sphere goggle lens offers a 180-degree vision that perfectly suits open water and competitive swimming. They are usually scratch resistants, anti-fog and comes with 100 percent UVA and UVB protection.
These goggles have softer gaskets, which makes them a comfortable goggle to use. It has a silicone split strap for the great support and a perfect fit, and it can easily be adjusted if the need arises. The soft gasket makes it fit perfectly around the eyes and provide a water-tight seal. The eye socket has a soft foam around it which helps to prevent wrinkles around the eyes. Lastly, purchasing these goggles means purposing an all-purpose goggle because it can serve multiple purposes.
- Curved Lens Technology
- E-Z Adjust Buckle System
- Advanced Fit Technology
- Medium Eye Fit
- Brand: Aqua Sphere
- Color: Black/ Clear/White/
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH(0.39 x 0.39 x 0.39 inches)
- Lens Coating: Anti-Fog Coating
- Lens Color: Clear Lens
- Aqua sphere goggle offers clear visibility through its specially-engineered 3-dimension optics.
- This goggle feature an EZ buckle which makes it easy to adjust to any tension or precision
- It protects the eyes from UV rays and also offers protection against skin blemish.
- It has an enhanced water-tight seal around the eyes
- With aqua sphere, you don’t have to worry about fog formation
- Be rest assured that you would get the most comprehensive and clearest view even in poor lighting
TYR Technoflex 4.0 Performance Metallized Goggle
The TYR Technoflex 4.0 Performance Metalized Google has an oversize lens that allows you to enjoy a wide range of views for safety and focus when swimming in open water. The lens of these goggles is made with polycarbonate material making them shatter-resistant, UV protectant, and strong enough to last for a long time.
These goggles are usually softer around the frame’s exterior and become more firm around the solid nose piece as it gets closer to the lens. This shape enables them to be used all day without sacrificing the seal’s quality. The ratchet side clips on the TYR Technoflex 4.0 Performance Metalized Goggle headband make it simple to customize to fit.
- Provide more excellent peripheral vision.
- Optically clear
- UV protected and anti-fog coated.
- Metalized coating for reduces glare.
- Side clips
- Shatter-resistant lenses
- Brand: TYR
- Color: Silver
- Frame: Thermoplastic Rubber
- Lens: Polycarbonate
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH (6.69 x 2.76 x 2.76 inches)
- Tyr is Made with the highest quality materials
- it is very durable and long-lasting
- it can be used for multiple activities
- it offers a clear view
- it comes with clips for tightening
- it is very easy to adjust.
- It leaks all the time because its water-tight seal isn’t properly fitted.
Speedo Liquid Storm Goggle
Speedo is a very popular brand that has distinguished itself when it comes to the swimming goggles market. They have produced a lot of goggles that are a popular choice for swimmers. The Speedo Liquid Storm Swim Goggle is an exceptional goggle that offers a lot of comfortable and fit. The soft gaskets made from silicone helps to minimize marks around the eyes. These goggles are highly flexible and have a frame that ensures the seal is water-tight. Their high-quality build allows usage for an extended period without compromise. They are an ideal choice for training and competition swimming. With a speedo liquid storm goggle on, you don’t have to worry about water condensation because it has an anti-fog lens.
- Silicone seal technology for comfort
- Sleek appearance
- Wide panoramic lens
- Antifog lens
- Dual strap system
- Brand: Speedo
- Color: Green/Smoke
- Item Dimensions: LxWxH (7.4 x 4.5 x 2.4 inches)
- it is the best swimming goggles for triathlon
- it is presentable and sleek in appearance
- it has a dual strap system for easy tightening
- it offers a clear and wide view
- It is very fragile
Buying Guide Questions
The importance of swimming goggles cannot be overemphasized. It helps to protect the eyes and prevent blur vision while swimming. Numerous types promise to offer the best advantage. Below are popular questions from swim goggles shoppers.
What color swim goggle lens is best?
Swimming google lens comes in different colors. The type of lens to choose is dependent on certain factors but not limited to these factors only. These factors include the weather, the lighting level, Outdoor or indoor environment. Choosing a suitable goggle takes a little effort, but it’s generally worth it.
Smoke: They are helpful in a sunny environment, lower the brightness reaching the eyes.
Amber: They are very crucial for clearer vision. They increase low lights, and this is helpful to see the bottom of the water.
Red: Best used in medium and low light environments, they can improve contrast.
Clear: it’s very suitable for indoor and low light conditions, it offers no change, eye visibility usually remains the same.
Mirrored: it offers excellent protection for the eyes. It helps to reduce glares.
What are the best men’s swimming goggles…?
some of the best swimming goggles for adults include but not limited to the following Aqua Sphere Kayenne Swim Goggle, Speedo Mirrored Vanquisher, Aqua Sphere Michael Phelps K180 Swim Goggles, and Aqua Sphere Kaiman Exo Swimming Goggles,
How do I choose swim goggles?
The choice of swimming goggles differs from one individual to another. You should find what best fits your face. You can go to local stores, open the goggles package that you think suits you, and try them out. The critical element that you should look out for is the gasket that surrounds each of the lenses. The lowest-cost goggles usually have foam gaskets. Also, it’s worth noting that large lenses often look better, but they tend to offer More drags.
What goggles do Olympic swimmers use?
Olympic swimmers’ goggles are designed with Optimum Fits, comfortability, and good visibility. This combo helps the athlete to stay focused and perform well while racing during competitions. The goggles are designed to prevent water from leaking through, fogging, and general face protection. Some of the goggles used by Olympics swimmers include the Nike Swift Strapless Goggles and the Swedish Brand Malmsten.
Why do swimmers wear two caps??
In swimming, especially during competitions, every second counts. Putting on a swimming cap when swimming is essential as swimming caps reduce the dragging effect caused by my hair.
Typically, stability and speed are the two main reasons why swimmers wear two caps.
Many swimmers wear their goggles after wearing the first swim cap; then, they wear the other above the goggle. The lower cap is generally a latex material, which stays on the head better but wrinkles more. In contrast, the upper cap is a silicon material, and it is more aerodynamic, which helps better performance.
Should I wet my goggles before swimming?…?
Swimming goggles start to fog up when swimming due to the temperature difference formed; as your body heats, the goggle internal and the water cools the external. Therefore, it’s highly recommended to wet your goggles before swimming to balance the humidity and temperature difference.
How long do swim goggles last?
The durability of swimming goggles is highly dependent on the Brand, frequency of usage, and user maintenance ability. When swimming goggles are used very often, they tend to wear out quickly. For instance, someone who swims frequently would have his/her google quickly wore out, than someone who swims occasionally.
For brands, I will advise top brands such as speedo goggles, Arena googles, Diana goggles, and Madwave goggles if you want your goggles to last well enough.
Another critical factor is maintenance; after use, goggles should be flushed with pure water to remove sands, chlorine, and salts. Always keep your goggles from sun radiation to avoid seal damage and Also, avoid touching the inside of the goggles.
Does wearing swim goggles cause wrinkles?
The eye is a very sensitive organ, so also are the tissues around the eyes. Wearing goggles often can lead to wrinkles around the eyes, which tends to clear off with time. However, this can cause permanent damage to the eyes if the problem is not properly addressed with time. One way to reduce wrinkles from goggles is to ensure no much tension on the band. And the straps aren’t so tight. There are other complications of wearing inappropriate swim goggles, and they include redness, itching, swelling, numbness around the eyes, and intraocular pressure increase.
Do you need swimming goggles to swim?
The choice to swim with or without swimming goggles depends on the individual and condition; For instance, swimming goggles is usually required in a competitive condition.
Generally, it is highly recommended to use swimming goggles. The eyeballs don’t see very well underwater; therefore, it is essential to always swim with your goggle. It will enable you to see better and make it easier to swim comfortably.
Some swimming pools may contain too much chlorine in a bid to neutralize germs. Chlorine can irritate eyes; when you swim in such a pool too long without goggles, you might find yourself having read, bloody eyes. Also, The salt content of sea waters can irritate the eyes, making it impossible to see clearer.
What goggles did Michael Phelps use?
Michael Phelps is an Olympic champion in swimming events; he has won several medals, and he is the most celebrated swimming athlete.
During the 2004 Olympics, The gold medalist Michael wore the Speedo Speed Sockets.
During the 20012 Olympic, he wore Speedo speed Socket polarized goggles and remarked that the google was an appropriate fit, and it equally helps to reduce glares, effectively enhancing his visibility.
During the 2016 Olympics in Brazil, he wore the MP Xceed swimming goggles, and he won 6 medals, of which 5 were gold. He remarks that they were the best goggles that he had ever worn. They were super comfortable and come with very high visibility-enhancing his ability to see in water superbly.
Are tinted swimming goggles better?
Using a tinted swimming goggle depends on the environment. Tinted goggles would likely make swimming in a dimly light indoor pool quite dark, and that would make swimming less enjoyable. However, it’s quite helpful if there is enough light in your swimming environment. If you get the Aegend swim goggles, it is likely to be tinted with colors, but swimmers swear that they see clearly in it.
Swimming is an amazing sport that gives the swimmer a very unique and exciting experience. Swimming goggles are essential for swimmers. They help to enhance the visibility of the swimmer while also protecting the eyes. Swimming goggles come in a wide range of specs, and buying the right pair of swimming goggles depends on the activities you are likely to engage in. Goggles designed for competitions usually suit swimmers perfectly. It is highly effective in reducing drag. In this review, you understand the purpose of different swimming goggles and guide you in deciding on the best.