Socks get wet when dipped in water, giving an off-feeling on your feet. Nevertheless, some pairs work with water, known as water socks. Although some people prefer going barefoot on the beach, they can hurt themselves. However, water socks are ideal for protecting your feet, especially during outdoor activities.
Water socks are lightweight footwear that protects your feet. They are made from neoprene material, just like wetsuits. There are several kinds of water socks, and they have different soles. Water socks with thick rubber soles are ideal for scuba divers, surfers, and beach loungers. Furthermore, although water socks provide a lot of flexibility, they are not suitable for long-term use with activities like hiking.
Using the proper gear for protection and comfort is essential with increasing water activities. However, some people don’t know the difference between water socks and water shoes.
What Is the Difference Between Water Shoes and Water Socks?
Water shoes are footwear from rubber and mesh materials. The shoes have a sole that offers traction and comfort, while the top part of the shoe drains water. Water shoes are ideal for hiking, shallow rivers, and stagnant water. The downside to water shoes is that they do not cover the feet totally because of their drainage holes, thus, exposing your feet to dangerous substances
Water socks also provide traction similar to water shoes. However, the socks cover your feet totally, preventing your feet from dangerous substances. Furthermore, water socks have rubber surfaces and materials that prevent water absorption. Also, they are stretchable, and some of them have adjustable straps for a good fit.
It is important to note that although water socks reduce the chances of water touching your feet compared to water shoes, you cannot wear the socks alone. Water socks are multipurpose; they are suitable for outdoor activities. However, you can only wear them as socks and not as shoes.
Why Should You Wear Water Socks?
Although some people prefer going barefoot rather than wearing water socks, water socks have a lot of advantages, especially when you are on the beach. Some of the benefits of water socks include;
- Exceptional breathability: water socks are from quality Lycra or Neoprene material, giving you exceptional breathability and a good fit
- Comfort: whether you use the socks in the pool or at a beach, water socks provide comfort. Walking on the beach exposes your feet to hot sand and pointy shells, which can be pretty painful. Therefore, wearing water socks can protect your feet, providing comfort while enjoying different water activities.
- Safety: apart from shells and hot sand, water socks protect your feet from unsafe bacteria in the sea
- Warmth: water socks are waterproof, thus, keeping your feet warm and preventing foul odor from moisture
- Multipurpose: water socks are suitable for both water and non-water activities, including hiking, cycling, and running
What Should You Note When Getting Water Socks?
Although it is pretty easy to find a pair of water socks than shoes, it is essential to purchasing reliable products. Because there are several water socks brands on the market, this section discusses things you should note before purchasing one.
- Traction: a critical factor to note when purchasing water socks is the traction. Some water socks have a good grip even without wearing shoes; therefore, it is best to buy socks with anti-slip soles because they provide better traction.
- Material: the material of water socks is critical. Although expensive, it is better to go for high-quality material because they protect your feet from harmful substances. It is best to always go for synthetic materials like neoprene because they are breathable, lightweight, and quick-drying. You can also go for synthetic leather materials because they are durable, light, and protect your feet regardless of the weather conditions.
- Protection: when purchasing water socks, you should note the length of the socks. Do you want it to cover your legs or just the ankle? Water socks can be high cut, low cut, or ankle cut. It is best to go for socks to protect you from sunburns and the hot sand.
- Drainage: water socks that drain fast can help you move smoothly underwater. Because of the drainage, you don’t have to bother about moisture in your feet which may cause bacteria buildup and feet odors.
- Feet sizes: water socks have varying sizes depending on the brand. It is advisable to choose sizes that give you a perfect fit.
- Durability: apart from comfort, protection, and warmth water socks can provide, durability is also a critical factor when purchasing water socks. Before buying water socks, determine the conditions where you will use the socks. If you’re purchasing water socks for outdoor activities like hiking and trekking, it is best to go for socks with rubberized soles because they can withstand rigid surfaces and sharp rocks.
How to Take Care of Your Water Socks
Taking care of your water socks prevents bacteria buildup and unwanted odor. However, you can’t wash them like regular cotton socks. To clean water socks, you need warm water, salt, soap, a sponge, and a bowl
When gathering the materials, ensure that the water is warm but not hot. In the bowl, mix the water and soap thoroughly before putting on the socks. Afterward, add about two tablespoons of salt for immediate disinfection.
The next step is to soak the water socks on the bowl and wait for two minutes. Afterward, dip a sponge in the warm water. You can take out the sponge and water socks for scrubbing for about five to ten minutes.
After scrubbing the socks, use warm water to rinse them. It would be best to dry the water socks under the sun. After drying, your water socks will become shiny again.
The 7 Best Water Socks in 2022 are Reviewed Below
Several water socks are on the market, and choosing the best fit may be quite challenging. Therefore, this section discusses the best water socks in no particular order.
Kindly read on.
Seavenger Zephyr 3mm Neoprene Dive Socks
The Seavenger Zephyr socks are among the best swim socks on the market. They are super stretchy with a 4-way stretchy material that provides a snug fit. With their warm neoprene material, the socks trap an insulating layer of water around your feet, keeping them warm. Furthermore, the socks are strong and durable because of their glued, blind-stitched seams. The socks allow long-term wear, and they provide ultra comfort without losing their elasticity
The Zephyr has a thick wetsuit material that makes it thermal, warm, and cozy. Its grippy dotted soles create maximum traction, allowing you to move without restrictions. With its versatility, you can use the Zephyr socks to walk in the sand, explore the reef, and participate in water activities, including snorkeling, rafting, kayaking, and scuba diving.
The Zephyr neoprene dive socks give you numerous options to choose from because they are available in 11 different colors and eight sizes
- Super stretchy material
- Warm neoprene
- Glued stitched seams
- Grippy dotted sole
- Non-slip grip
- Snug fit
- Brand: Seavenger
- Color: Ebony black
- Size: XX
- Material: 3mm Neoprene
- The socks are super stretchy. They have a 4-way stretch material that gives a super snug fit
- You can easily slide into snorkeling fins and dove boots
- The socks are soft and flexible, giving you a barefoot feeling
- The Zephyr socks provide extra protection in cool waters
- The 3mm neoprene material keeps your feet warm by trapping an insulating layer of water around your feet, holding in your body heat, and retaining warmth
- The Zephyr socks are ideal for swimming in cool waters
- The thick wetsuit material is thermal and warm
- The Seavenger Zephyr socks are versatile and comfortable for any water activity
- The socks are strong and durable. They have a glue stitched seam that provides excellent durability and allows long term wear
- The grippy dotted sole gives maximum traction
- The soles also provide a warm and cozy non-slip grip
- The socks give a snug fit, giving you ultra comfort
- The Zephyr socks do not lose their elasticity
- You can quickly move without restrictions
- The socks are versatile. They are great for walking on sand, snorkeling, and scuba diving
- The Zephyr socks are available in 11 colors and eight sizes to suit your preferences
- Some reviewers complain that the socks are thin and not ideal for walking on asphalt
BPS High-cut and Low-cut Diving Socks
The BPS diving socks are high-quality neoprene water socks for men. They are available in high cut and low-cut styles. The socks are unisex, and they have a flexible and durable sole that gives you a firm and comfortable fit. Furthermore, the soles provide a second-foot feeling that allows you to use them with ease throughout the day. With their anti-slip feature, the soles of the BPS diving socks give maximum traction and comfort. They also have rubberized patterns that can handle slippery and wet conditions easily.
The diving socks also have adjustable ankle straps and tabs that allow easy put on and take off to provide a comfortable and proper fit. The socks’ design is so practical, breathable, and durable. The seams are glued and stitched to reduce sand and water entry into the socks and also to give you a long-lasting performance
When you purchase the BPS diving socks, you get an e-guide in your mail containing easy-to-follow instructions and relevant photos. You also get a BPS guarantee for 12 months starting from the date of purchase. Furthermore, the socks are available in high cut and low-cut styles and several sizes, making them ideal for the beach without the risk of sunburns.
The BPS diving socks are easy to clean, fast-drying, and suitable for water activities, including snorkeling, tide-pooling, and paddleboarding.
- High-quality neoprene
- Fully flexible sole
- Anti-slip soles
- Rubberized grip patterns
- Adjustable ankle straps
- Practical and breathable design
- BPS guarantee
- Brand: BPS
- Color: 12-high cut floral pink
- Size: XS
- Material: Neoprene
- The BPS socks are from high-quality neoprene material, giving you a firm, comfortable fit
- The soles are durable and flexible, providing a second foot feeling and allowing you to use them throughout the day
- The socks are unisex
- The anti-slip soles give maximum traction and comfort
- The soles have a rubberized grip pattern that prevents you from losing your grip, especially in wet and slippery conditions
- The ankle straps and tabs are adjustable and from deluxe Velcro, allowing easy put on and take off and giving you a proper and comfortable fit
- The socks’ design is practical. The seams are glued and stitched to limit the entry of sand and water, providing a long-lasting performance
- The socks are available in low cut and high cut designs, making them perfect for use on the beach
- The socks come with an e-guide containing simple instructions and relevant photos
- The socks are durable, and there is a 12-month guarantee starting from the date of purchase
- The BPS diving socks are easy to clean
- The socks are quick drying
- The socks keep your feet safe from blisters and sunburn
- The BPS diving socks are available in 27 patterns and colors and in 7 sizes ranging from XS to XXXL to suit your preferences
- The socks are ideal for snorkeling, paddleboarding, and other water activities
- The sizes run small
Skyone 3mm Neoprene Water Fin Socks
The Skyone neoprene socks are quick-dry aqua socks. They are quality adjustable socks that provide warmth and protection. The socks have a flexible design that is comfortable and easy to put on and take off, and they absorb less water, reducing foot fatigue during water sports. Furthermore, the anti-slip design in the sole of the socks protects from rocks and sharp objects.
The socks also keep you warm underwater, and for cold water, you can wear the socks with boots. The water fin sock also has a hi-grip textured material, ideal as a gift. It is also suitable for water activities like kayaking, diving, swimming, surfing, sailing, and snorkeling. Furthermore, the seams of the socks are glued and blind stitched to provide superior strength and durability.
The water fin socks are high stretch, giving you full coverage and excellent recovery. They can also fit and adjust over several sizes to suit men, women, and children. The socks are also available in four sizes.
- Flexible design
- Comfortable fit
- Anti-slip soles
- Warm thermal material
- Wide application
- Full coverage
- Brand: Skyone
- Color: Black
- Size: Small
- Material: Neoprene
- The socks are adjustable for a comfortable fit
- The socks absorb less water, providing warmth and protection
- It is easy to put on and take off the water fin socks
- The socks offer a comfortable fit. The neoprene material gives the socks a flexible design that prevents your feet from getting hurt underwater
- The socks reduce foot fatigue and restrictions during water sports
- The anti-slip material prevents slipping and also protects your feet from getting hurt by rocks and sharp objects
- The socks have a warm thermal material that keeps your feet warm underwater
- You can use the water fin socks for a variety of water sports, including swimming, snorkeling, surfing, sailing, kayaking, and diving
- The hi-grip textured material makes the socks durable and ideal as a gift
- The glued and blind stitched seams increase the durability of the socks, giving them superior strength
- The socks material is 150% high stretch, providing full coverage and excellent recovery
- The socks can fit and adjust over several sizes for a perfect fit
- Sizes run small
Blueseventy Thermal Swim Socks
The Blueseventy thermal swim socks are insulated with 2mm Yamamoto neoprene material. They are among the best water socks for swimming. They have a zirconium liner that reduces water absorption, creating an extra insulating layer. Furthermore, the socks long length provides additional warmth and reduces water entry.
The thermal swim socks have a bottom grip that prevents injury when walking or running on rocky surfaces. Also, the socks are perfect for long transition runs, triathlon training, and open water swimming. Furthermore, the socks are unisex and available in two sizes.
- Insulated socks
- Yamamoto super stretch neoprene
- Zirconium liner
- Long length
- Bottom grip
- Brand: Blueseventy
- Color: Black
- Size: Small
- Material: Neoprene
- The socks are insulated, keeping your feet warm
- The 2mm Yamamoto super-stretch neoprene material reduces water absorption and is flexible for easy wearing and taking off
- The zirconium liner provides an extra insulating layer, keeping your feet warm
- The socks long length reduces water entry and provides additional warmth
- The bottom grip is textured, preventing injury to the feet when running or walking on rocky surfaces
- The thermal swim socks are ideal for long transition runs
- The socks are perfect for open water swimming and training for a triathlon
- The socks are unisex
- The socks are pretty pricey
- Sizes run small
Cressi Anti-slip Neoprene Socks
The Cressi neoprene socks are one of the best water socks for men. They are anti-slip, preventing slipping. The socks are also from neoprene material for a super stretchy, comfortable fit. Furthermore, the socks have a metallite inner lining that allows easy put on and take off.
The glued, stitched seams increase the socks’ durability and are suitable for closed foot fins and open-heeled fins. The socks give the feet warmth, protecting the skin against chafing and scratches. In addition, the socks are available in various patterns to suit your preferences.
- Single lined
- High stretch
- Metallite inner lining
- Non-slip soles
- Glued and stitched seams
- Brand: Cressi
- Color: Black
- Size: M/ US Man 7 / 8 / US Lady 8 / 9
- Material: Neoprene
- The socks are thin and have a single lining for comfort
- The high stretch neoprene material gives your feet maximum coverage for comfort
- The socks are available in various patterns
- The metallite inner lining allow easy putting on and taking off
- The non-slip sole is effective in giving the feet traction and preventing slipping
- The glued, stitched seams improve the socks’ durability
- The socks give your feet warmth and protection from chafing and scratches
- The Cressi anti-slip socks are available in four colors and sizes
- The socks are not thick
Tilos 3mm Waterproof Neoprene Fin Socks
The Tilos neoprene socks are one of the best water socks for swimming. The socks protect your feet from hot and rough surfaces, and they are form-fitting. The fin socks are also lightweight, perfect for the beach and pool. You can wear the fin socks alone or with fins or pool shoes to prevent blisters and chafing
The fin socks also feature a four-way stretch material that gives a snug fit, hugging your foot from toe to ankle. The socks also provide traction, especially on slippery surfaces. Furthermore, the fin socks are versatile and suitable for water activities like kayaking, paddling, sailing, canoeing, and scuba diving. The socks are also ideal for fishing, snorkeling. With the wide range of sizes available, the fin socks can fit men, women, and children
Another significant feature of the fin socks is the superior comfort and protection. The socks can protect your feet from hot sunburned skin, blisters, rough surfaces, and stings and bites from bugs and plants
With the socks’ ergonomic seams and sporty design, you’re assured of durability, style, and quality. The fin socks are available in six colors and a wide range of sizes.
- Four-way stretch
- Dot Sole
- Sporty design
- Ergonomic seams
- Low profile design
- Brand: Tilos
- Color: Black
- Size: Medium
- Material: Neoprene
- The socks protect your feet from rough and hot surfaces
- Tilos fin socks are form-fitting. They provide enough coverage for your feet
- The socks are a lightweight alternative to hard-soled shoes, making them perfect for the beach and pool
- The socks can prevent blisters and chafing
- You can wear the socks alone or with fins or pool shoes
- The four-way stretch gives the socks a snug fit that hugs the foot from toe to ankle
- The socks have a dot sole that provides traction on slippery surfaces
- The fin socks are versatile. They are suitable for water activities like scuba diving, kayaking, sailing, surfing, paddling, fishing, and canoeing
- The socks are available in a wide range of sizes to suit men, women, and children
- The socks are thick enough to provide superior comfort and protection against sunburns, rough surfaces, stings, and bites from bugs and plants. They also prevent painful blisters
- The socks have a sporty design with a pop of color, giving you style and quality
- The ergonomic seams are durable
- The socks low profile design with textured sole makes it stylish and non-slip
- The socks are available in six colors to suit your preferences
- There are seven sizes available, ranging from X-small to 3X-Large
- Some reviewers say that the ankle tops don’t come up high enough
- The socks are not all that protective against rocks
Seavenger Seasnugs Tall Beach Socks
The Seavenger Seasnugs socks are among the best swim socks on the market. The socks feature an adjustable strap that gives a snug, comfortable fit, staying in place during sports. Furthermore, the Seasnugs are perfect for all water sports, and they have a comfortable material. The flat-lock stitching prevents blisters and chafing. It also lays flat against the skin to give an ultra-comfortable feel
The Seasnugs water socks are durable. Their heel and toe caps give extra room to the toes for comfort. They also minimize material stretching. Furthermore, the socks are flexible and comfortable. Their elastic material allows easy movement, including when playing and jumping.
Another feature of the Seasnugs socks is its heat-resistant sole, which makes it suitable for hot summer weather and provides maximum traction on slick surfaces without damaging the feet. Also, the lightweight spandex upper makes the socks super smooth and breathable, giving a barefoot feeling. Furthermore, the stretchy spandex material and adjustable calf strap provide a comfortable fit that doesn’t slip and protects the feet from the sand, sunburn, and irritating elements.
The Seasnugs socks have a high-top design that gives maximum coverage and protection. Both socks are interchangeable, making the socks suitable for long-time wear. The socks are ideal for teens and kids with extra sensitive skin, providing maximum protection without irritating. The Seasnugs socks are available in several colors and sizes to suit your preferences
- An adjustable fabric fastener strap
- Flat-lock stitching
- Heat-resistant soles
- Lightweight spandex upper
- High top socks
- Brand: Seavenger
- Color: Black
- Size: M
- Material: Spandex
- The Seavenger Seasnugs socks have adjustable fabric fastener straps, giving a snug fit that stays put during active sports
- The socks are perfect for all water and sand sports, including beach soccer, volleyball, and frisbee
- The socks have a comfortable material with flat-lock stitching that prevents blisters and chafing
- The flat-lock stitching is smooth, and it lays flat against the skin to give ultra comfort
- The socks are durable. Their tough heel and toe caps give extra room and strength, minimizing material stretching and maximizing durability
- The Seasnugs socks are flexible and from an elastic, comfortable material, allowing easy movement
- The socks have a heat-resistant sole suitable for hot summer weather without damaging your feet. The soles also provide maximum traction for slick surfaces
- The socks have a lightweight spandex upper that is super smooth and breathable, giving you a comfortable feel.
- The socks have a high-top design, giving you maximum protection and coverage
- The socks are interchangeable and are suitable for long-time wear
- The socks are ideal for people with sensitive skin. They provide maximum protection without rubbing or causing irritation
- The sole is not tough
Buying Guide Questions
This section provides answers to frequently asked questions on water socks. Kindly read on for more information.
Are aqua socks the same as water shoes?
Aqua socks are socks you can wear in snorkeling fins or shoes likely to get wet or soggy. On the other hand, water shoes are worn for water activities or wet conditions, including kayaking, rafting on the beach. Furthermore, you can wear water shoes with socks or barefoot
Can you swim in aqua socks?
Aqua socks are best worn with snorkeling fins because they reduce excessive rubbing between the fins and your feet which may cause blisters or chafing
Are you supposed to wear socks with water shoes?
It is not compulsory to wear socks with water shoes. Water shoes have tiny drainage holes that allow quick water drainage, keeping your feet dry.
Should water shoes be tight or loose?
Water shoes should not be tight or loose, and instead, they should give you a snug but comfortable fit. The best water shoes should stay on your feet even when you splash, kick, or bump against underwater rocks.
Are there waterproof socks?
Yes. Waterproof socks have three layers that keep your feet dry. The first layer is the exterior that looks like a regular sock, while the second layer is a waterproof membrane that keeps water out. The third layer is a knit interior that keeps your feet warm. Furthermore, the outer and inner layers protect the waterproof membrane from abrasion; therefore, the socks are thicker than average athletic socks.
Do water shoes keep your feet dry?
Water shoes have drainage holes that remove water from the shoes to keep your feet dry
Can you swim with socks on?
Although you can’t swim with regular cotton socks, water socks are ideal for keeping your protecting your feet in and around water
Water socks are ideal for protecting your feet during water activities, including kayaking, surf fishing, and scuba diving. The best water socks should be durable, breathable, and provide traction and comfort for your feet
You may be interested in the following articles;
Best Shoes for Walking in Sand and Beach