What is a diving mask
A Scuba diving mask, also known as a dive mask, scuba mask, or half mask is diving equipment that enables snorkelers, free divers, and scuba divers to see underwater clearly. Usually, a full mask is used by surface-supplied divers which is also called a diving helmet, but in rare cases, a half mask is used.
When the human eye comes in direct contact with water, light entering into the eye will be reflected by a different angle, making the eye unable to focus the light on the retina. Providing an air space in front of the eye will make it able to focus nearly normally. However, the shape of the air space in the mask slightly affects the ability to focus. To correct this, corrective lenses can be fitted to the inside surface of the masked viewport. People with focusing defects can also wear contact lenses inside the lenses to help in providing normal vision.
Factors to note when choosing a Scuba dive mask
One of the most important things to get in your diving or snorkeling kit is the right dive mask. The right scuba dive mask not only enables you to see the water clear but also helps you in reading gauges when scuba diving and seeing very essential hand signals usually made from shatterproof glass or silicone, and they are designed especially for scuba diving. They are made from silicone as it is more pliable and forms a better face seal than rubber. Before producing them, the brands make sure the mask has undergone rigorous testing to ensure it can function correctly under pressure at the deep sea. Like any other equipment, there are some factors you need to note when choosing a scuba dive mask. Below are some of the factors:
The first thing to note when choosing a dive mask is your budget, there are dive masks available at different costs to suit almost every budget. Mostly their prices start from 50 dollars up to 1,000 dollars. While it’s advisable to go for a cheap rubber mask in the market, the price might not be the most important thing to note when choosing a dive mask, as sometimes you might end up paying extra pennies for a fine design.
You can talk to a local dive club about the best dive mask and its price tag or even buy a secondhand mask from them and test it out.
Mask Skirt Color
A mask skirt is the silicone area around the lenses that seals onto the face. Mask skirts come in different colors ranging from clear, black, or white colors and each has its advantages.
White mask skirts, though not common, show up well in underwater photography, black mask skirts, on the other hand, reduce glare and remove distractions from the surrounding environment while clear mask skirts tend to let more light in.
Black mask skirts have additional advantages in that they don’t show dirt easily and tend to look better than white mask skirts.
Number of lenses
Scuba dive masks are available in different angles, double, and multiple lenses.
Single-lens masks provide a clear uninterrupted wide view and binocular vision that helps in-depth perception. If you’re a diver that likes a clear and broad view, a single lens mask is the best for you, it also allows you to pinch your nose for equalizing. They come both in the frame and frameless versions.
In single lens frameless masks, the lens is closer to the eye and less amount of air is needed to clear off the mask underwater, these make their low volume. Single-lens masks offer a fold flat for packing and a great field view.
Two lens masks often come with tear-shaped lenses and it is also low volume. They offer a wide view across the main lenses and a good downward view that provides greater head visibility. Also, less air is needed to equalize and clear the mask.
In addition to the main lens, the Multiple lens mask comes with other small lenses around the side of the mask. They offer the biggest light entry and the broadest field of view. Multiple masks are the best for divers that suffer from claustrophobia. Mostly, professional divers use full diving masks.
The mask volume
A mask volume is also another factor to note when choosing a scuba dive mask. A low-volume mask provides ease in clearing the mask and also helps in mask equalizing. Low volume masks are the most used and there are various types available, including the popular AquaLung Micro Mask, which provides a wide angle of view while being ultra-small.
Whether you wear glasses or not
If you are a diver that wears corrective lenses, a double lens dive mask is the perfect option for you. It can be customized with your prescription lenses or you can buy a pre-made one from brands that produce such types.
Whether you have a mustache or not
Another factor to note when choosing a dive mask is whether you are the mustache gang or not. If you have a mustache, note choosing a mask that fits you well. You can also note choosing the area under the nose or greasing the mask skirt with silicone grease where it touches the mustache. All these help in ensuring your comfortability.
Mostly, mustache divers note buying a low-profile mask with a short silicone skirt or a full face mask.
The strap of the mask
A good factor to note is the mask strap, choosing a scuba mask with a comfortable mask strap will help you in a long way. A good suggestion is a mask having a neoprene strap with velcro fasteners, these are very easy to use, they are also very comfortable and reduce hair pulling.
The mask fit
The most important thing to note when choosing a scuba dive mask is the mask fit. A well-fitted mask will ensure comfortable diving and also prevents water from entering the mask thereby preventing the need to clear the mask repeatedly.
Scuba dive masks come in different shapes and sizes that will fit different face shapes, nose shapes, and head sizes. The right shape of the nose prevents water from entering the mask under the nose, thereby helping to prevent panic in divers that won’t feel water near their nose comfortably.
Here are a few steps to test if a mask fits correctly:
- Hold the mask against your head without attaching the strap. Let the strap hang loose making sure all hair is out of the way.
- Breathe in through the nose, hold you’re breath, shake your head up and down and see if the mask stays in place till you exhale. A well-fitted mask will not go out of place.
- Attach the mask strap and see if it is comfortable or tight to the face. Feel if there’s any pressure touching the bridge of the nose causing discomfort. A well-fitted mask will not provide discomfort in any part of the face. Leave the mask on your face for a few minutes to see if everything fits right and you feel comfortable.
The above-mentioned factors are the main factors to note when choosing the right scuba dive mask for yourself.
The 5 Best Scuba diving masks Are Reviewed Below
Below we shall take a look at the five best scuba diving masks that are available on Amazon. Choosing a scuba dive mask can be overwhelming especially if you’re a novice, you might end up choosing from the wrong brand. You might end choosing a scuba mask that will be too big for you or choose the one having a high volume while you w volume one. To save you from all the stress of looking for the perfect scuba dive mask, we have decided to review some of the best Scuba dive masks that you can ever find on Amazon. Grab a hot tea as you go through the list.
AQUA A Dive Scuba mask for adults
The AQUA A dive sports Scuba dive mask is Amazon’s choice for Scuba masks. As a diver, you know that a better diving experience will only be known if you have a good scuba mask.
The AQUA A dive sports dive mask was made from food-grade silicone that provides a sturdy comfortable seal, making you free from the worries of having your mask fogs or leaks a lot.
This food-grade soft silicone fits on all the contours of your face, having a more customized fit, a waterproof leak seal, and is devoid of bad odor.
The dive mask comes with a single piece of the lens allowing a smoother view and more openness to better enjoy the underwater world by having a better view of the surroundings to admire the underwater creatures and stay alert of all dangers. The lenses are also polycarbonate, providing better protection to the eyes and having a good fall resistance thereby preventing the breakage caused by careless fallings.
It also features a convenient buckle that can be adjusted easily to give you the customized fitting you need.
The AQUA A dive sports scuba dive mask provides a clear 180° extra large vision of the underwater that other masks cannot provide. Its lens is strengthened with polycarbonate to reduce fog, it also features an anti-fall resistance that’s toughened more than glasses, and also features an Ultraviolet resistance that helps in protecting the eyes.
The mask skirt is made from a soft food grade strong silicone having a double waterproof layer that prevents leakage while leaving the face comfortable. Its adjustment buckle has a silicone belt that’s very easy to adjust with one hand.
If you’re looking for a designer mask to wear comfortably, note choosing the AQUA A dive Sports Scuba mask for adults.
- The AQUA A dive SPORTS mask provides a clear 180° extra large vision of all sides allowing you to enjoy the underwater world to the fullest.
- It comes with a safety reinforced anti-fog lens that is toughened with polycarbonate for more anti-fog resistance, has an anti-fall resistance that is more strengthened than glasses, and also has an Ultraviolet resistance that protects the eyes from UV rays
- The skirt of the mask adopt a double layer waterproof design and It is made from a soft yet strong food-grade silicone that prevents leakages
- The buckle of the mask has a silicone belt, making it very adjustable in that, it can be adjusted with one hand
- The mask doesn’t compress any part of the face thereby giving divers a comfortable time wearing it.
- It is black so it can be used by both males and females
- Each piece ordered will have to meet strong QC requirements before it is shipped
- Brand’s name: AQUA A DIVE SPORTS
- Manufacturer’s name: AQUA A DIVE SPORTS
- Weight of item: 0.77 pounds
- Weight of package: 0.32 kilograms
- Dimension of item package: 8.3 x 5.5 x 4.1 inches [L × W × H]
- Material: Polycarbonate and food-grade silicone
- Color: Black
- Target audience: Unisex
- Age recommendation: Adults
- Specific uses of product: Diving, prevents leakage and fog
- It is made from food-grade silicone making it soft but durable
- Has Ultra Violet resistance that helps in protecting the eyes from UV rays
- Has an anti-fall and anti-fog resistance that helps on preventing crash and fog respectively
- It comes in a unisex design, making it look good on both males and females
- It doesn’t compress the face, therefore it leaves you comfortable while wearing
- The buckle is easily adjustable
- It might not be a good option for divers with long hair
OCTOMASK dive mask for all go pro heroes
The OCTOMASK dive mask with the amount in camera offers divers a hands-free way of capturing their big moments underwater. The OCTOMASK camera and masks are made from high-quality materials for the maximum durability and comfort of their users.
The brand has two different models, the frameless and the standard model; both models offer freehand video capturing and are comparable in size
The standard model however got two pieces of tempered glass as lenses, unlike the frameless model that got only one tempered glass. The OCTOMASK brand also has a free diver scuba mask for divers with thin noses.
The scuba mask works with all Go Pro models including the latest GoPro hero 8. It also fits into almost all average and large faces making sure divers have the best diving experience you will ever imagine of.
The mask skirt features an ultra-soft sturdy silicone made from food-grade silicone to ensure the best fitting and comfort for divers.
The pack comes with an aluminum thumbscrew and an easy dry travel bag for easy storing of your mask and easy attaching of your Go pro camera anytime you go snorkeling or diving.
The brand assures its customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee and they are very confident that you will agree that their mask is one of the best ways to use your Go Pro camera the next time you go diving.
- The OCTOMASK scuba mask is a highly durable and comfortable scuba mask that can have a camera mounted on it for a better diving experience
- The mask works with GO PRO camera models including the latest Go Pro Hero 8
- The mask features an ultra silicone skirt made from a high quality soft yet strong silicone to ensure you have one of the best dive mask fittings you will ever have
- The pack comes with an aluminum thumbscrew and a fast dry travel bag for easy storage and attachment of your Go pro camera anytime you go diving
- The mask fits almost average and large faces
- The brand offers two different models- the standard that has two tempered lenses and the frameless that has one tempered lens.
- The brand also has a free divers mask for divers with extremely thinner nose
- The brand ensures a 100 percent satisfaction guarantee and assures that their mask will be the best you will ever attach your Gopro Camera with
- Brand’s name: OCTOMASK
- Manufacturer’s name: OCTOMASK
- Model name: FBA_101
- Weight of item: 0.32 kilograms
- Dimension of item: 2.8 × 3.54 × 2.8 [L × W × H]
- Weight of package: 0.7 pounds
- Dimension of item package: 8.7 × 4.4 × 4.3 [L × W × H]
- Part number: FBA _101
- Color: Black, Clear and blue
- Size: One size fits all
- Target audience: Unisex
- Age recommendation: Adults
- Specific uses: Diving and snorkeling
- A Go Pro Camera can be mounted on the mask
- It is made from a durable material
- It comes with a fast dry travel bag for storing and easy attachment of a camera
- Its skirt is made from a silicone material that ensures the best fittings
- It is very comfortable to wear and it doesn’t compress any part of the face
- There are two different models available
- The brand can put on your prescription lenses on the standard model
- Customers with flat noses complain that water seeps in
EXP VISION Adult Pano 3 Panoramic View Scuba Diving Mask
The EXP vision adult panoramic view scuba diving mask is the best mask to change your field of view. The mask is the best for the novice, semi-pro, and professionals in diving, as far as you want a clear view of the underwater world then the EXP vision adult panoramic view scuba diving mask is the best option for you because it was possibly designed to give you great visibility, fit, durability and maximum comfort.
The mask features a three-lens panoramic design that gives the best peripheral view of your surrounding. The lenses are in tempered glass for additional safety, fall resistance, and easy cleaning. The frame of the mask is made from a polycarbonate material making it very durable and light-weighted.
Its soft silicone skirt is made in a way that it can fit many shapes and sizes of faces. It also has push-button buckles that can be easily adjusted.
The EXP Vision adult panoramic view diving mask is made from a hypoallergenic strong soft silicone that helps in ensuring maximum sealing.
Apart from these features, the diving mask also provides anti-fog resistance by using ultra-clean non tinted glass with an anti-fog coating applied to the surface of the tempered glass.
The diving mask frame has a 100% soft silicone skirt that provides the perfect sealing and prevents leaking when diving or snorkeling.
It offers a superior view time more than a normal mask, the lens is made from tempered glasses with shatter resistance, strong impact resistance, and scratch resistance, which helps in providing a clear and adventurous view of the underwater while keeping the eyes protected.
The mask has super stretchy silicone straps and durable side buckles that can fit many faces. With its ultra-soft silicone skirt, the EXP vision mask is ideal for skin diving, snorkeling, and scuba diving.
- The EXP vision adult panoramic view scuba diving offers a superior 180° view of the underwater world, giving you the chance to capture all your amazing moments in the water
- The mask uses an ultra-clear no tinted glass and has an anti-fogging coating attached to the surface of the tempered glass to provide you with a clear crystal view to see the delicate and beautiful creatures of the underwater world
- The dive mask is framed with a soft strong silicone skirt that provides the perfect seal while enabling you to feel fit and prevents leaking
- The lens of the dive mask is made from tempered glass that has strong impact resistance, strong shatter resistance, and good scratch resistance, all these help in providing a clear view and protecting the eyes
- The EXP vision mask was made professionally from an ultra-soft silicone skirt and stretchy straps and ultra-durable side buckles that fit most shapes and sizes of faces.
- The brand ensures 30-day money-back guarantee and offers a lifetime breakage warranty
- Brand name: EXP VISION
- Manufacturer’s name: Top Studio
- Weight of package: 0.27 kilograms
- Dimension of item package: 7.9 x 4.3 x 1.8 inches [L × W × H]
- Part Number: TS-007 DM
- Color: Blue, Black, All black and clear blue
- Target audience: Unisex
- Age recommendation: Adults and Kids
- Size: One size fits for all
- Specific uses: Snorkeling, Swimming, Scuba diving, Surfing, Sailing, kayaking, canoeing, and other aquatic sports
- It offers a superior 180° view more than a normal mask
- It uses ultra-clear no tinted glass having an anti-fogging coating for a further clear view
- Its skirt is made from framed soft silicone that provides a perfect seal
- The lens is made from a tempered glass
- It is made to fit most shapes and sizes of faces
- Some customers claimed it doesn’t fit narrow faces
SeaDive Eagleye RayBlocker
If you want to view the underwater world the way it is supposed to be viewed then you need the Sea Dive Eagleye Ray blocker mask. The dive mask has a nose purge thereby prevents leakage enabling you to have a flood-free dive.
The mask also features a Ray blocker HD tempered glass lenses that provide a clear vision below and above waves. The ray blocker also blocks UV rays and other glare and distortions that aren’t friendly to the eyes. The mask is also designed to improve vision and reduces the time it takes for eyes to adjust underwater.
The design also comes with an anti-fog with a patented nose purge that helps clear out water whenever it leaks in. It also has an easily adjustable buckle on the skirt that gives the mask the perfect fit.
- The SeaDive Eagleye Ray blocker is the brand’s most popular ray blocker model
- It comes with a single lens that provides an unrestricted view
- It comes with a fog-resistant coating that helps prevent leakage
- The mask comes with a plastic box with a lid included
- The ray blocker also prevents ultraviolet rays which are harmful to the eyes
- It features a nose purge that prevents leakage giving you the chance to experience a leakage-free dive
- It has stretchy strong buckles that are easily adjustable
- Brand name: Sea Dive
- Manufacturer’s name: XS Scuba
- Weight of item: 1 pound
- Weight of package: 0.56 kilograms
- Dimension of item package: 8.35 x 4.69 x 4.21 inches [L × W × H]
- Part number: SMA953BS
- Color: Black
- Target audience: Unisex
- Age recommendation: Adults
- Size: one size fits all
- Specific uses: Diving
- It features a ray blocker HD that helps prevent the eyes from Ultraviolet rays
- It is black so it can be used by both sexes
- It has a nose purge that prevents leakage
- It comes with an anti-fogging coating to prevent fog
- Some customers claimed it cracks easily
Buying Guide Questions
Below we shall take a look at some buying guide questions related to dive masks.
What Scuba mask do navy seals use?
Navy seals use standard navy seal scuba dive masks. However, Navy seals can also use the AQUA A scuba dive mask for adults, as it is made from food-grade silicone material. It fits almost all faces and it can be easily buckled in and out.
Its lenses are made from a polycarbonate material that provides a better seal and protects the eyes.
How do I choose a diving mask?
Choosing a diving mask can be overwhelming, but when you note certain factors, you will surely make the right choice. These factors include; your budget, the type of diving you’re undergoing, the mask fit, whether you wear glasses, whether you have a mustache. Other factors to note include the color of the mask skirt, the strap of the mask, the mask volume, and the number of lenses.
Is there a mask that lets you breathe underwater?
Yes, a full-face dive mask that covers your whole face lets you breathe underwater. If you’re using a traditional snorkel mask, you can breathe through the snorkel tube.
What is a low volume scuba mask?
As we all know, the volume of a mask refers to the amount of air space within the mask. Low volume scuba masks are those scuba masks that stay close to your face, therefore can be quickly cleared off if water enters. They are also called low-profile masks.
How much does a scuba mask cost?
Scuba masks don’t cost much, Their price ranges from 30 USD to 1,000 USD. It all depends on the brand and the quality. Don’t opt for an expensive mask as the price might not always be a definition of the quality. Rather go for a mask that is of high quality and very durable.
How deep do navy seals dive?
First-class navy divers go as deep as 300 ft which is equivalent to 91 meters while second class navy divers go as deep as 150 ft which is equivalent to 46 meters
How deep can a human dive before being crushed?
A human being can dive up to 35.5 km depth without being crushed. It was estimated that the human bone crushes at about 11159 kg per square inch which is three times as deep as the deepest point of our ocean
How many dives can you do in a day?
If you are a recreational diver, the maximum number of dives you can do in a day is 4 to five dives. If you are a shallow diver you need to refer to a dive table for guidance.
Why do you spit in a diving mask?
Most divers spit into their masks to reduces fog caused by water. Saliva makes the water that leaks in break into bigger droplets and rolls down the mask.
Choosing the right dive mask will help your diving career in a long way. With the above guide, we’re pretty sure you can choose the best dive mask for yourself or your friend as a gift.
For more about diving, check out our other articles: